Sunday, June 27, 2010

Alien Eggplant and the Tennis Ball vine


My eggplant (nasubi) are
never quite as perfect as my mother-in-law's but this is too much! Mine have arms (or wings?)! It makes me wonder what was in that compost pile.

My in-laws don't believe in natural compost - they try to compost cans, bottles, chemical residue, plastic bits and batteries. I knew it was just a matter of time before my vegetables turned out weird.

The green tomatoes are a bit early - usually you harvest them at the end of the season when the frost hits your plants and won't ripen them any more. Well, the dog thought I was growing green tennis balls for her to play with. She went after a cat and tore through the tomato vines only to discover that they were covered with toys. Just think of that - mom was growing doggie toys.
Yeah -she ripped all the tomatoes off. She had a ball.

I have a bowl full of green tomatoes. Not to fret, I made a delicious chow chow with the tomatoes, cabbage, onion, green pepper steeped in vinegar, salt, and sugar. I think I'll make some salsa and some green fried tomatoes.

Crazy dog - she ripped out two of my biggest tomato plants, a couple of the best green pepper plants and the whole row of basil. That cat just taunts her and makes her crazy...whose cat is that?

No comments: