Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Weeds

It was an overcast day with only sprinkles, allowing me to wage war on the weeds. I took out the circular blade cutter and like Rambo with a machine gun, assaulted the small field and the southern slope of the big field. Unfortunately, someone had tossed blocks of concrete down the slope since the last time I did this and I smashed the blade against concrete, nearly ripping off my arm. Fine. Between the garbage that people toss from the side of the road to the shitmy mother-in-law buries under the leaves, this job is going to kill me.

I slashed at tall reeds that are extremely invasive and must be kept from creeping into the fields. I slashed at small grasses and shrubs. I slashed at creepers and crawlers until the slopes and the edges of the fields were shorn, then used the rest of the gas to trim my lawn. Heaven forbid that we use a lawn mower - the mower my husband purchased is akin to one of those children's toys, a battery operated tiny machine that is basically useless against real grass. Now that the lawn is so extensive, the toy mowers they sell here (for people who only have a square meter of grass) are useless and we can't afford a larger one, so I just use the weed cutter.

I harvested basil and tomatoes to make pesto for pasta and a fresh tomato soup - a wonderful meal on a humid summer's day. Ate the last of the marion berries on ice cream and called it a day.

No comments: