Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Humid summer days

It is too hot and humid to function, let alone work. I managed to cut the grass and weeds around the perimeter of the fields and nearly died of heat stroke in the process. I was capable of returning home and downing a couple cold beers and felt somewhat revived!

The azuki beans have sprouted nicely. The sesame seeds sprouted and are thriving in the heat. The cucumbers that we planted on the slope without trellises seem to be producing better than the ones we carefully cultivated in the greenhouse. I forgot to go back in the evening to pick them and by the next morning they had grown from full-size to gargantuan. I pickled sliced cucumbers as refrigerator pickles so we can enjoy them over the next few weeks.

The tomatoes are done - the plants cannot take the heat it seems. The pumpkins growing out of the compost heap are thriving, as is one avocado plant. I tried growing about 4 avocado seeds recently and none of them sprouted, so the rest I tossed in the compost. Now I have a tree! I had a couple of lovely trees growing but my husband killed them off.

No comments: