Thursday, July 22, 2010

Hot days in the field

My mom-in-law went to the mountains with the senior citizen's group from the village. They arrange for little day trips every couple months. They gather at the garbage dumpster to board a chartered bus for their destination - today it was the cooler temperatures in the higher elevations. Not a bad idea- the heat wave has already caused several deaths and we are accustomed to hot weather.

I wanted to surprise her - so I weeded the entire vegetable garden. The rain has caused so many weeds to overtake the vegetables it was really a mess, so I pulled and dug and then plowed where I could with the small tiller to make it look nice. She was surprised when she returned and gave me a large bottle of beer as a gift (along with dried fish). If I have to sweat bullets and get sore to earn my beer, I will! I just like it that she notices. I could repaint the house and re-landscape our yard and my husband wouldn't even know it.

No comments: